Tuesday, February 3, 2009

First sweet living bread

So, before I realized my first dehydrated bread had transformed into rocks I decided to try a sweet bread recipe. Here it is.

Yes, I made this one up on my own~ yay! I am a huge fan of nut butter sandwiches. I don't even care what kind. I'll take peanut butter, cashew butter or almond butter, too. They're all great! And I wanted to make a semi-sweet, aromatic bread for sandwiches.

With my ginormous sweet tooth I'm always looking for another way to have a healthy, sweet meal. That's why I added dates, partially-dried fruits and cinnamon to the recipe. The house smells fantastic right now... cinnamon, strawberries... This time I added more water so the sprouts would grind more.. let's hope it worked.

Blending dough, adding spices:



Mandy's Sweet Bread
3 c fresh sprouts (I used 1.5 c kamut, 1.5 c spelt)
1 c water
1/2 c orange juice
5 dates, diced
1/4 c ground flax seeds
2 T freshly ground cinnamon
1 t ginger
1/2 c chopped, partially-dehydrated fruit

I ground 2 cinnamon sticks in the coffee grinder for this recipe. Freshly ground cinnamon smells WONDERFUL! Our coffee grinder really comes in handy. I've been able to make my own freshly ground herbs and spices lately. I've been buying them on sale and then drying and grinding them. Our spice drawer is so aromatic now!

Also, yesterday I threw a handful of dark cherries and a dozen strawberries directly into the dehydrator. I only dried them overnight, so they were only partially-dehydrated.. since they will be added to the dough and dehydrated more. As before, the dough is very wet but it's easy to shape into pieces of toast.

I put 6 onto a para-flexx sheet:



The other 6 went straight onto the shelf:



Updates to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Please leave your message here. Appropriate messages will be posted.