Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Tyler's amazing fried tofu

While I love tofu in all sorts of dishes - stir-fry, tofu 'eggs', smoothies, in pasta sauces, diced, sliced, you name it! - Tyler's fried tofu is warm and squishy on the inside and crunchy on the outside.. and it goes perfectly with steamed or sauteed veggies and rice. And I was craving some rice last night.

Keeping your kitchen stocked with vegan goodies is essential if you want to be able to have healthy, yummy meals whenever you want. So, we bought a huge bag of brown rice and a huge bag of red rice from our local Asian market. I mixed them together in a storage container that I keep on top of the fridge. This way it's always ready to go!

So, I made 1 cup (dried) red and brown rice and sauteed the veggies while Tyler battered and fried his tofu.

We had two zucchini and one squash on hand, that I sliced. I'm sure I'll say this a hundred times.. but I just love cooking in cast iron. All I had to do is wash and slice the zucchini. Then, I lightly sprayed the skillet and tossed in the veggies. I don't even have to pay much attention.. I just flip them over every now and then.



We keep a few boxes of extra firm tofu (packed in water) in the fridge. Simply open the container, drain and cube the tofu. In a small mixing bowl, add about 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, a spoon of cornstarch and 1/2 t baking powder. We don't even add spices - because I tend to love my tofu simple. But you can add any spices that you might like. The tofu is wet, so just dip into the flour a few times and put on a plate until you're ready to fry.



In the end, we either sprinkle a little Nama Shoyu, Bragg's or soy sauce on top.. or have a small bowl of soy sauce on the side to dip your tofu or veggies into.

Ta da!



Look who else loves Tyler's tofu:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Please leave your message here. Appropriate messages will be posted.