Friday, April 15, 2011

Chili for the dogs

YUM!

P4150971

I made this chili specifically for our hot dogs this weekend. I wanted small chunks in the chili, so it doesn't completely fall out of the bun. And you know, I've never been a huge chili bowl fan.. but this may change that. All I'd do is boil some potatoes, celery and carrots and add to this for a nice bowl of chili. Maybe I just don't like canned stuff.

INGREDIENTS

1 c fire roasted tomatoes, minced
1 c beans (I used 3/4 c red, 1/4 c black)
1 bag boca crumbles (they are pre-seasoned)
Approximately: 2 c water
1/2 jalapeno, diced small
3 T chili
2 T raw sugar
1 T paprika
1 t cayenne
1-2 T garlic powder
1/2-1 t onion powder (more if you like; I'm not an onion fan)
1 t coriander
1 T cumin
3 T basil
4 T cilantro
1-2 T rosemary
1/2-1 t crushed red pepper
optional: 1 t chia seeds


I made the beans from scratch. So, either way.. have your beans ready or open your can of beans. Thaw your boca crumbles. (You could just as easily use TVP from scratch.)

I used Boca crumbles, so this was VERY easy.

Step 1: heat crumbles in cast iron skillet with about 1 cup water. Once thawed, add another cup of water and beans. Now add all of your spices and stir. If it's too dry, add some water. If it's too wet, add some chia seeds or just stir and cook longer. It'll soak up some water, get thicker and marinate in its own juices.

Step 2: enjoy!

See how easy fresh chili is?

VARIATIONS

I purposely left out big chunks so this would fit better on veggie dogs. So, to make it a meal just start by boiling diced potatoes, carrots and celery. Set aside and have ready to add to this chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Please leave your message here. Appropriate messages will be posted.