Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Best Brussell Sprouts

P4040714

If you aren't a fan of Brussell Sprouts.. it's only because you haven't cooked them properly. You probably had them boiled or steamed, right? I'm pretty sure that's how I was introduced to them as a child. Unfortunately, American meals used to center around gross, artery-clogging meats and cheeses.. while the veggies were wilted and soggy on the side.

Well, no wonder America is in the state that it's in! Soggy gross veggies are an insult to your taste buds. The sprout deserves better, and so do you.

I am a hardcore Brussell Sprout fan. They are easy to cook. They smell great while they're grilling. I can barely contain myself. I always make the excuse that I have to taste them as they're cooking.. because I can't ever wait until they're done.

That's how much I Brussell Sprouts. And you will, too!

INGREDIENTS

1 container of Brussell Sprouts
1-2 T olive oil
As much pepper as you can grind
1/2 t + sea salt (or salt of your choice; I have been favoring pink salt lately)
1/2 c water

Brussell Sprouts don't require much preparation. And they cook quite quickly.

DIRECTIONS

I use my large cast iron skillet for this one. While I'm pre-heating the pan with 1-2 T olive oil, I slice and rinse my sprouts. Basically, cut off the bottom. And peel off the outer later if damaged. Now, slice in half down the middle.

Begin placing the sprouts, sliced-side down, into the warming oil. Once you hear it sizzling a little and all sprouts are in the pan, pour the 1/2 c water over the sprouts. This is when I put a lid (it's too small for the skillet but covers most of the sprouts) on top. Let them cook in the water until it's all evaporated. This won't take as long as you think. So, watch!

Sprinkle with pepper and salt.

Remove the lid once you see the sprouts cooking through. They will begin to look a tad see-through.

Once the water is evaporated, now you're going to cook the sprouts until they're browning on the bottom. Again, this won't take as long as you think.

Tada! You're done.

OPTIONS:

Cook a box of pilaf (we used the lentil 'Near East' box for a quick meal.) You can also serve with brown rice. Or a pasta of your choice. I bet these sprouts would be great with the mac 'n cheese I made last month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Please leave your message here. Appropriate messages will be posted.