Monday, January 4, 2010

Easy, awesome soup

I used pre-made organic veggie broth, so this was super easy.

INGREDIENTS
Broth (4 cups)
Spices: 1/4 t cayenne powder, 1/2-1 t chili powder, 1/4 t garlic powder, fresh parsley or cilantro
Veggies: new potato, carrots, tomato, broccoli, cabbage, mung bean sprouts, kale
Tofu

Photobucket

Keep in mind that the more veggies you use, the more broth you'll need.

DIRECTIONS
Put broth in big pot. Bring to boil and add 1 diced new potato. Boil for 5-8 minutes until not-quite-soft. Then, add thinly sliced carrots. Cook another 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, put your tofu in a cast iron skillet and cook in a bit of soy sauce. That's it! (I used pre-fried that I picked-up at the Asian Market. It's made in Houston and SO good.)

Photobucket

Now, add tomatoes and any other veggies along with spices - cayenne, chili and garlic powder. Cook to desired tenderness. This will really only take a few minutes.

Put mung bean sprouts and tofu on bottom of bowl.. then pour soup on top!

Photobucket

You won't believe how great this soup is! Serve with toasted, whole-wheat, nutty bread. Add more of your favorite veggies.. I love cabbage so I added quite a bit. I also like it spicy so I added a bit more cayenne to mine than my husband's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Please leave your message here. Appropriate messages will be posted.