Monday, November 21, 2011

Very vanilla dessert / breakfast / anytime cake

The best cake you will ever have. Srsly.

IMGP1839


INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 c flour (I use whole wheat)
1/2 c raw sugar
1 t baking soda
1/2 t sea salt
1 container vanilla yogurt
1 T oil (I use almond oil)
1 c mylk (I use almond)
2 T vanilla


DIRECTIONS

Mix your dry ingredients. Now add wet ingredients. You want a very wet batter. Ta-da!

Pour into your new automatic, fun gadget. Press "bread" function.

Or, if you haven't purchased this awesome machine.. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. The cake should remain moist.

Trust me.. even three days later, these leftovers are exquisite.


TOPPINGS

Thaw frozen strawberries. Add some corn start to the juice to thicken a little. Smother your cake.

Add a healthy chocolate syrup: Mix 3 T agave + 1-2 t almond oil + enough cocoa powder to make a syrup. Yes, it really is that easy!

You'll see in the photo, this time I just sprinkled with a little raw sugar for a crunch. WOW. Simple and wonderful.


QUESTIONS

WHY do I use the ingredients that I use?

*I like vanilla! Use more, not less.

*I only use whole wheat flour when I cook... but you could use whatever you have. Just remember, if your flours, sugars or any foods are unnaturally uniform -- you probably shouldn't be eating them. (That includes iodized salt, white sugar, white flour, etc..) There is no nutritional value in these "foods". They are remnants of an age in our history when these uniform foods were a status symbol. And we all know what diseases plagued the rich!.. obesity, diabetes, early death.. oh wait, is this ringing a bell?

*Almond oil is sweet (and I use it in my raw chocolate treats) but you can use whatever oil you want. Add more if you want, too. Remember, the yogurt has fat in it, that's why I lowered the amt of fat I added.

*Don't be afraid of whole sugars! I lowered the amt sugar because the yogurt is sweetened. But if you're making this for someone who likes traditional/processed/overly sweet sweets, then add more sugar like the original recipe calls for. Then, gradually reduce the amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Please leave your message here. Appropriate messages will be posted.