Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cashew Cheese Delight

Best.Cashew.Cheese.Ever

A friend made this in a raw lasagna for us.. and WOW! I changed the recipe a bit, since I'm not a big onion fan. But add more if you like!

For lunch, I served a heaping wooden-spoonful of the cheese with 1 fajita-sized wheat tortilla, toasted and 4 large stalks of organic celery, sliced. And I devoured ALL of it. (I can probably get 3 servings of the raw cheese out of one batch.)

P3280504


INGREDIENTS

1 cup raw cashews (soaked up to 5-7 hours)
1, 4-oz jar of pimentos OR ¼ to ½ red bell pepper
Squeeze of 1/2 juicy lemon
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
*optional: water

Blend all ingredients except water. Then, add a little water to desired consistency. For spreads, add a little more water. For dips or cheese balls, add less water - and refrigerate until firm.

If you don't have a very powerful blender, you'll want to soak the cashews. However, I've read that soaking more than 5-7 hours makes them bitter. So, just soak a little ahead of time and you'll get a wonderful raw cheese! Trust me, it's to die for.


Options:

Roll in chopped, raw nuts for a cheese ball. Great for dipping chips and veggies!

Use on sandwiches or raw veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Please leave your message here. Appropriate messages will be posted.